Sunday, July 16, 2006

Surfing

I was visiting other blogs and found a number of great posts by Carol Anne on Five O'Clock Somewhere. (My daughter will soon call and tell me the proper way to site someone else's blog but at this point I'm clueless.) Carol Anne pointed out that many women are "in some sort of man's shadow like a wind shadow, a zone of bad air that keeps them from gaining full speed". My husband has provided clear air but a lot of men don't.
I had two women sailing with me who have far more years experience on a boat than I do, but their husbands are critical and in command on their boats and the women lack confidence. I find a lot of women who will not sail as their husband's turn into tyrants on the boat and they don't want any part of it. Two of my crew are not married, not experienced, but learning quickly as they don't feel any restraints. Our coach doesn't criticize.
Now if I can only figure out what to do with my clear air.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Yea I can help you with the links there mom.

It's really psychological. If someone expects you to be incompetent than it is more likely you will be.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dawn. I knew I could count on you.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might check out "First You Have to Row a Little Boat" by Richard Bode. I really enjoyed this book.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you think I should start with a row boat? lol Kidding aside that is a book worth reading.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home